Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Rebekah's Big Day!

BIG NEWS - PRINCESS REBEKAH TURNS 3!!!
Our little Rebekah is all about all things pink and princessy. Take a look at these beyoooootiful shoes she received for her birthday. She calls them her 'clip-clops'. Makes perfect sense - after all, that is the noise they make as she prances all around the house on the hard wood floors.
Several weeks ago I asked Rebekah what she would like for her birthday. It really is silly. With 5 children in our family, there is way too much 'stuff' around here. I am constantly loading up bags of toys and 'stuff' and taking it to Good Will or whatever charity I can find that can put the 'stuff' to good use. But... what parent (or grandparent or aunt and uncle) can resist giving a darling 3 year old a fun present for their birthday?
Thus the million dollar question, "Rebekah, what would you like for your birthday?"
Her response, "OH, MOMMY! I WANT PINK ONES. LOTS OF PINK ONES!"
Did I miss something? "Pink what, sweetheart?"
"PINK PRESENTS! I WANT LOTS OF PINK PRESENTS!"
So, basically, I don't think it would have mattered what was in the pretty pink wrapping paper wearing the pink crown of a bow, it just had to be PINK!
Her sweet Aunt Suz and Uncle Matt and cousin Nicholas sent the cute 'birthday girl' shirt and crown she is wearing below. (Pink! Home run Matt and Suz. Home run.) And yes, Rebekah decorated her cake - angel food with PINK frosting and PINK princess candy decorations which Rebekah very carefully placed herself.

New doll from Grandma Marti and Grandpa Jim. Her name started out as Sarah, but changed the next day to Lydia. It's been 2 days of Lydia, but stay tuned to the whimsical fancies of a brand new 3 year old.

Big fuzzy (PINK - another home run) dog backpack from Aunt Bean and Uncle Thomas. Rebekah named it, Ollie. Ollie sleeps at the foot of Rebekah's bed, but NOT next to her. Very particular about that.

Another new (PINK) outfit from Uncle Matt and Aunt Suz.
I am thrilled beyond belief that Rebekah just turned 3. You see, it's in the next few months that I am going to start to really enjoy Rebekah again. Love the sweet, adorable baby stage. It's the toddler stage - from about 18 months to 3 1/2 years that I find Exhausting with a capital E. Mentally and physically Exhausting. There is so much training in self-control that seems to be never ending. And I'm getting much older than I used to be! Add to the mix a very strong-willed child and Mom and Dad can be found drooling and rocking in the corner every now and then. In the midst of one of Rebekah's tantrum's one day, Ellen uttered a statement that made me laugh uncontrollably. She said, "Mom, it's a good thing God made 2 year olds so adorable." Yes, they are cute. That's for sure. It's just all of that sin that is coming out that makes them not so enjoyable. Which is why God created parents. It is our job to teach them self-control and to shape and mold their little hearts.
I love Galatians 6:9 - "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." If you knock on the door one day and find Rich and I knocking our heads against the wall in the corner, you may hear us faintly chanting this verse. Moms and Dads - do not give up. Keep doing good as God instructs. You WILL reap a harvest - it is a PROMISE FROM GOD! When your 2 or 3 year old whines for the 12th time since breakfast and it's only 8:30 in the morning - don't give up. When they look you square in the eyes and say, "No!" Don't give up. Persevere. Don't get on the internet searching for 5 day a week preschools or endless summer camps. Don't sit them in front of the TV again just to get them out of your hair. Don't give up. No one said raising children was a cake walk. But God says we WILL reap a harvest. I am already seeing beautiful fruit from my older children. What a blessing that is! Thank you, God, for giving me energy, wisdom, perseverance, Godly friends and mentors, and a husband who loves you and is committed to You with all of his heart. Thank you, God, that YOU are there to guide me, comfort me, teach me and encourage me in my role as Mom - trainer of my children's hearts.

3 comments:

Cindy and the Wards said...

Way to go Mom!!! I love that "don't give up" - we've just come from the pool where I was hoping to auction my youngest off for a while. Not to worry - I came home with the same number I took.
Happy Birthday R!!!!

Stephanie said...

Happy Pink Birthday Princess Rebekah!! What a great entry Julie...you are such a great mom. You make their days special( even the trying ones:) I love your devotion to the Lord and to those He gave you.

Keep going!

The Stuckey Family said...

Happy Birthday Rebekah!!!!
(If I could figure out how to do it, I would have written this in PINK just for you!)