Sunday, August 17, 2008

Couchtime, a Princess, the Dock and a Deluge

Here's a few pics of the past few weeks. We're easing back into our formal schoolwork - doing our favorite subjects (always depends on who you ask, of course), but always done by lunchtime to give us a few hours to play before naptime. Here is some of our play. Enjoy!


Rebekah and Anna went onto the porch where Rebekah set up two chairs for the two of them to practice their 'couchtime'. They seemed to be having a real conversation. I sure couldn't understand them, but they giggled and jabbered away for quite awhile.




Rebekah's friend, LilyFaith had a Princess birthday party - right up Rebekah's alley. She had a fantastic time playing in the castle, eating pink cake and playing Princess and the Pea.



We watch the tide clock and at high tide we hit the creek in our backyard to jump and play and have a ball. It's always best to catch an ebbing high tide - that way the tide takes you back to the ladder after a leap into the water. Much easier than trying to fight the tide, although good exercise the other way.

Ellen and Caleb diving and leaping into the creek. Are you curious about the creatures that swim in our backyard? Dolphin? Stingray? Alligators? Blue crab? Yes, yes, yes and yes. Thankfully, they all swim away when we start to splash and frolick around. And also why we swim at high tide. We figure there's more water to go around. Ha! With a 6 foot tide swing we have about 12-15 feet of water to swim in at high tide. The dolphin are our favorite - so graceful and happy looking. Alligators - not so favorite, although, we've never seen one off of our dock. (My parents have. Lots! Which is why we don't swim at their house.) Supposedly, they like their water a bit fresher (less salty) than in our backyard. We've seen plenty in the freshwater ponds in our neighborhood. Blue crabs - when we can catch them - we eat them! Yummy!

It looked like a tropical storm at our house this afternoon. We had just finished mowing the lawn when the deluge began. This is our front yard. We don't normally have a river running through it!

Have I mentioned how much I love summer? I really think I should move farther south.

2 comments:

WhitneyB said...

Your front yard looks like my backyard used to look like all the time!
I love how Rebekah's little legs are crossed for "couch time". Too cute.

mom said...

I'm always THRILLED at how much my grand children enjoy life and seem to savor every minute of it! Brings a smile to my heart!!