We're in a season of really buckling down with the school books as the weather isn't as favorable for outside play. (I'm laughing as I type this as my kitchen windows are open and it's 74 degrees out. Definitely an abnormal day amongst a month of cold weather.) But, my children have southern blood and I will frequently hear them say, 'oooh, it's 53 degrees outside. Too cold to play outside.' Yes, I know you're laughing at us. (or is it with us?) But, it's all relative, isn't it? I guess to them outside = playing in the water. And 50 degrees (or colder) is just too chilly to get wet. So instead we prefer to muscle our way through math and grammar books so that we can have lots of time for outside play once the weather warms permanently.
So... back to what to blog about? I was reflecting on how much wisdom we have gained from other like-minded parents along the way. We love learning creative ways to practice Biblical parenting principles with our children. So, I thought I'd share a few things we have learned along the way that have helped us. Some ideas are original to us, although, most of them have come from those wise parents who have been willing to share with us. If I can remember who shared them with us, I will be sure to give credit where credit is due. So here goes...
Good, Better, Best
Last night in our Growing Kids God's Way class we again heard a teaching by Gary and Anne Marie Ezzo on "Good, Better, Best" From their workbook, Growing Kids God's Way, p 219:
The apostle Paul told the Philippian church to "approve that which is excellent" (Philippians 1:10a). How can you teach your child to approve that which is excellent? How do you get children to "go beyond what is required" with the values that are in his or her heart?
They go on to explain the principle of "Good, Better, Best" and how Good represents who you are as a person. Better represents our family - who we are and what we stand for. Better takes all of us beyond the moral minimum to take the next step. Best represents God. This involves going over and above what is required.
'Good' is acceptable and 'better' is preferable, but 'best,' seeking to please God, is most desirable. (p. 220)
Years ago we thought about how we could explain this principle to our young children. We asked them if they would like a big, juicy, crisp apple. "Would that be good", we asked? "Oh yes!" they exclaimed. "What about if we gave you a chocolate chip cookie?" we went on. "Would that be better?" Of course they responded with cries of, "yes, a cookie would be better!" And finally we asked, "But what if we gave you a big piece of chocolate cake? Would that be the best?" With eyes dancing in anticipation of that big gooey piece of chocolate cake, they squealed in joy, "Yes, chocolate cake is the best!"
We then taught them the principle of Good, Better, Best. They now had a great word picture in their mind. We could pick them up from a visit at a friend's house and ask them, "Did you bless them with being polite and kind? Do you think you blessed them with an apple, a cookie or cake?" They knew what we meant and would give examples of why they felt they were an apple, cookie or cake. We always emphasized that "apple" behavior wasn't bad. But we also talked about how they could be a "cookie" or "cake" next time. And we knew they had grasped the concept when we asked our usual question after an evening at Grandma and Grandpa's house and the response was delayed. Finally the child muttered quietly, "I think I was broccoli."
7 comments:
OK....no comment on your "cold" weather :-)
Thanks for the reminder of good, better, best....needed that :-)
Oh....and the broccoli comment....absolutely hilarious!!!!
love the honesty and for sure they 'got it'! great illustration! will be bit chiller today, not even 50! :-( <3
love this!
In our minds, we can't imagine them being anything but CAKE! They are SOOO precious, sweet and helpful.... Not to mention great entertainment!!! We appreciate all of your expert parenting which adds to the JOY of being their grandparents! And by the way... I love broccoli
Love, Grandma
What a great word picture. It helped me get the concept better myself. Thanks for giving me a practical fun way to instill this in my children. Love ya'll. Thanks for being an example to us.
Thanks for sharing this Julie! I am going to borrow that word picture to share with our children!
Thanks for sharing this Julie! I am going to borrow that word picture to share with our children!
Post a Comment