Did I mention that Rich drove the entire 3169 miles? He is amazing. I am in awe and thankful more and more every day that a crazy, immature 20 year old kid (me) had the wisdom and foresight to land such a hunk of a man who loves me and his kids with reckless abandon. You're right. It had nothing to do with my wisdom. I didn't have any back then. It was the prayers of 2 amazing mothers, I'm sure. (Did you know they set us up on a blind date? We were an arranged marriage. Sort of.)
Back to building family identity and memories.... So we camp. Although, Rich is always quick to elaborate when folks look at us with wide eyes, quickly counting our kids and evaluating their ages. You camp? They ask with a tone implying, you must be crazy. If we camped in a tent, I'd wholeheartedly agree with you. But I'm not that crazy. Rich calls the way we camp, 'Executive Camping'. It's Camping because we're outdoors most of our waking hours, we eat outside, we build a campfire every night. We roast marshmallows for s'mores every night. We go on lots of hikes. It's Executive because it's in an RV with heat, A/C, a microwave, hot and cold running water, a toilet, a shower, a refrigerator, stove and oven. I sleep on a mattress. Life is good. I'm not completely crazy. And the best part... when we're ready to move on - it all goes with us.
Here is a summary of our latest Wilbur adventure. (Wilbur is a part of our family - our 30 foot Holiday Rambler RV. We love Wilbur. If you need a visual - check out last year's adventure to Colorado. There's a picture of dear Wilbur somewhere in that post.) Now grab a cup of tea, this could take awhile...
DISCOVERY PLACE MUSEUM - POMPEII EXHIBIT, Charlotte, NC
Didn't take any good pictures here. Oops. But we enjoyed learning the history and seeing actual artifacts from the 79A.D. eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in Pompeii, Italy. It's always been a favorite story of Ellen's. Spent the night at a fantastic campsite in Chimney Rock, NC. The picture below is the view out of our back window of the RV. Tropical Storm Fay had swollen the river and made for a gorgeous sound to fall asleep to. People pay a lot of money for a sound machine to make the same noise. The kids (including Rich) had a blast hopping rocks.
Didn't take any good pictures here. Oops. But we enjoyed learning the history and seeing actual artifacts from the 79A.D. eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in Pompeii, Italy. It's always been a favorite story of Ellen's. Spent the night at a fantastic campsite in Chimney Rock, NC. The picture below is the view out of our back window of the RV. Tropical Storm Fay had swollen the river and made for a gorgeous sound to fall asleep to. People pay a lot of money for a sound machine to make the same noise. The kids (including Rich) had a blast hopping rocks.
BILTMORE MANSION, Asheville, NC
115,000 square foot monstrosity built in the mountains of Asheville in 1895 complete with indoor swimming pool and bowling alley, 250 rooms, 34 bedrooms, 43 bathrooms and 65 fireplaces. Can you imagine trying to locate all of your children to call them for dinner?
GFI KEY COUPLES FAMILY CAMP, Hillsboro, IN
GFI KEY COUPLES FAMILY CAMP, Hillsboro, IN
I'm not sure how to put into words our time we spend every Labor Day week-end at this camp. It's not the actual physical camp that is so amazing, although, it is a blast - complete with climbing wall, zip line, water zip line, catwalk, canoes, paddle boats, the BLOB, and more. But it's the people. The fellowship. It is a community of 34 families from all over the U.S. - passionately dedicated to following Jesus Christ and glorifying Him through their families. They are serious about raising their children to love the Lord and to train them in the 'way they should go'. What a blessing these 100+ well-behaved, polite, kind, fun kids are to be around. They encourage us and inspire us to press on for the glory of God. Someone at camp this year said that this must be a small taste of what heaven will be like. Makes me even more homesick for my eternal home.
HOLLAND, MICHIGAN
While we hated to say good-bye to all of our dear friends from all over the country, the week-end got us started on the rest of our trip refreshed, excited and spiritually super-charged.
Next stop was a campground with washing machines. 7 people camping (3 of them male) makes for a lot of dirty laundry. Although, when we camp my definition of 'dirty clothing' changes. If the smell from the clothing won't offend anyone and if the article of clothing isn't black, then it can be worn again. Underwear is changed daily, but that's about it. Makes you not want to meet up with us while on a trip, does it?
Anyway, 5 loads of laundry and about $400 in quarters later (a slight exaggeration maybe) we were off to a wooden shoe factory in Holland. We watched as a pair were made right before our eyes in our own private tour. (We have come to love traveling in September. The summer tourist crowds are gone and schools aren't taking field trips yet. Most attractions, museums, etc. are empty! We often get private showings and tours. The kids (and Mom and Dad) can ask questions to their heart's delight. A homeschooler's dream!)
BLUEBERRY PICKING, Somewhere north of Holland, MI
WHITEHALL LIGHT STATION, Whitehall, MI
Toured an old light house and attached museum. The weather has been gorgeous and warm! My southern blood was really enjoying Michigan.
Anna - what a trooper. Our sweet little 15 month old from here on out never got a nap lying flat in a bed or playpen. She still takes 2 naps a day and quickly learned that when she was tired - no matter where she was, she had better just fall asleep - car seat, snuggly carrier on my front, bike seat, Daddy's arms or stroller. It didn't matter to her. She is so easygoing and adaptable. Thank you for making things easier for your Mom and Dad, Anna. You are precious and adorable. (I don't know why she was crying in the above picture in her sister's arms. Ellen must have been pinching her. Or maybe she was ready for that nap. Or maybe she was just really excited to go in that lighthouse. Or... okay, we're working on it.)
CHARLES MEARS STATE PARK, Pentwater, MI
This is where it gets hard to choose just one or two pictures to post. (Which is why there are 7.) They're all so beautiful! The reason we love staying in state parks is that they are usually in absolutely gorgeous places with incredible views. Our campsite in this park was on a sand dune with views of Lake Michigan that were breathtaking. A hotel room with this view would be hundreds of dollars for the night. We paid $21. The kids went for a swim in the 65 degree water as the sun set.
Put this on your bucket list - climb the Sleeping Bear Sand Dune before you die. Incredible. Hard work, but incredible. Breathtaking views. Did I say hard work? Ever climb 300 feet UP on soft sand? Whew, makes me breathless just thinking about it. And then as if I hadn't worked hard enough, Caleb decided it was a good place to play a family game of tag high atop the dune with a view of Glen Lake on one side and Lake Michigan on the other. Caleb is fast. And I'm not. Caleb's in great shape. And I'm not. I was 'it' a lot. I am still faster than Rebekah, though. Don't tell anyone she's only 3 years old. Thankfully, going down was a breeze... as it started to rain. We made it back to Wilbur just in time. Then we met Rich's brother, Matt and his wife, Suzannah, and son, Nicholas in Empire, Michigan to tour the Sleeping Bear Visitor's Center and have lunch together. They made the drive up from Rockford, IL to spend some time with us and attend a cousin's wedding. It was great catching up with them!
Ellen, Caleb and Logan worked hard to complete the junior ranger program. Above is a picture of Logan getting sworn in as an official 'junior ranger.' And below are some pictures from several hikes we took throughout the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Park. Again, I couldn't pick just one or two. Bear with me...
Farther north we traveled to this beautiful resort town. Matt and Suzannah were staying there for her cousin's wedding. We spent a lovely afternoon walking around this picturesque town on the lake eating ice cream, catching up with family and playing with Cousin Nicholas.
Sisters!
MACKINAC ISLAND, Michigan
We crossed over the 5 mile long Mackinac Bridge which separates Lake Michigan from Lake Huron into the Upper Peninsula (U.P. to the natives) of Michigan. On our drive up here we passed a sign that said we had crossed the 45th parallel. We were now closer to the north pole than the equator. I'm not sure I liked that feeling.
A ferry boat ride took us to Mackinac Island. (Isn't the guy I'm sitting with good looking?? Whew! I love that man!)
We took our bikes and immediately set off on the 8 mile bike ride around the island. It rained on and off, but we were prepared in our shiny yellow slickers. No cars allowed on the island - only horses and bikes. We toured Fort Mackinac and learned the history of the fort through re-enactors. It was a Saturday, so no private tour for us. Thankfully, the sun came out for us and it turned into a beautiful day. We sat down to a feast of fudge as a reward for all of our miles of biking. A ferry boat ride back to our campground on the shores of Lake Huron and we all fell into an exhausted sleep. As I was tucking Rebekah into bed that night, I asked her if she had fun today. She replied, "Yes, but we spent too much time in Mexico."
SOO LOCKS, Sault Ste. Marie, MI
We were bummed to hear that no ships were scheduled throught the locks anytime soon. We did spend some time in the Visitors center learning about the history of the area and how the locks work. It was quite interesting. We did watch a tour boat making it's way through the lock so the stop wasn't a total loss.
NIGHTLY RITUAL, Any campsite, Anywhere

Fire, marshmallows, chocolate, graham crackers, more fire, a sky full of stars and Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis. They are the magic ingredients in the glue that binds a family together. Well, not really, but it helps.
Fire, marshmallows, chocolate, graham crackers, more fire, a sky full of stars and Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis. They are the magic ingredients in the glue that binds a family together. Well, not really, but it helps.
A morning hike to the lower falls - magnificent! Notice we're a bit more layered up in our clothing. It's like winter at home up here in the far north!
WHITE FISH POINT LIGHT STATION, Whitefish Bay, MI
WHITE FISH POINT LIGHT STATION, Whitefish Bay, MI
This was a fascinating (I say that a lot, don't I?) museum. But it really was - just ask Caleb. He was enthralled. We visited the Shipwreck museum first which told the history and tales behind many of Lake Superior's shipwrecks in the past 150 or so years, the crazy weather the lake endures, and the brave men who have lost their lives in it's depths. We also toured the Light Station and Keepers quarters attached. We also got our first touch of chilly Lake Superior. That is one cold (but beautiful) lake.
For all of you homeschool moms who have ever read Paddle-To-The-Sea to your children - this is where the light keeper at Whitefish Bay lived who pulled Paddle off the beach and gave him a fresh coat of paint and brass plate which was engraved with his travels before he traveled to the Soo locks. We were living Paddle-To-the-Sea. The kids loved it!
UPPER FALLS, Tahquamenon Falls State Park, MI

Another hike - this time to the upper Tahquamenon Falls. (Please ask me to pronounce this word sometime. I worked really hard at it and by the time we left the park, I finally got it!) These falls are the 2nd largest east of the Mississippi.
Another hike - this time to the upper Tahquamenon Falls. (Please ask me to pronounce this word sometime. I worked really hard at it and by the time we left the park, I finally got it!) These falls are the 2nd largest east of the Mississippi.
PICTURED ROCKS NATIONAL LAKESHORE, U.P. MI
Remote, rugged, middle of nowhere, far from civilization. We filled our water tanks, made sure our batteries were charged, bought gas and groceries and took a gravel road for miles into the eastern entrance of Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. Incredible. I don't have the vocabulary to put into words what this area is like. I felt like an explorer (in my executive camper with all the amenities, of course). Put this on your bucket list, too.
After Ellen fixed us all a magnificent macaroni and cheese dinner (just like Lewis and Clark) we set out on our longest hike yet - 3 miles. (That's a long way for 5 year old legs. But Logan did great! It's those big boy hiking boots, I'm convinced.) Half of it was on a wooded trail that went along Lake Superior and then opened up onto the beach in several places.
Notice the remains of a 19th century shipwreck in the surf. We passed 2 such wrecks.
We rounded a corner to find the Au Sable light house. We couldn't go in it. (tourist season is officially over up there - if anyone can find this place that is. I think it's probably due to snow up there any day now.)
But we stopped for a snack and to admire the majestic views all around us and tried to imagine what it would have been like for a family to live in this incredibly remote location - especially in winter when they receive around 300 inches of snow! That'll create some family identity.

Grand Sable Banks and Dunes. Notice if you can on the far right of the picture what looks like a slide going down - it's a darker area. Take note of that - it's called the Log Slide. More on it later.
Lots of rocks to climb. The kids call it God's playground. They insist He makes the best playgrounds - much better than any man made one they've been to.
The sunset. I have no words. I was in awe. We witnessed this wonder from our campsite. A perfect end to the day. (Well, after s'mores and Dawn Treader, that is.)
There are all sorts of stories and legends relating to the Log Slide. From what we can glean, loggers would chop down trees, then use the above sled or giant wagon wheels to haul the logs to the lakeshore where they would drop them down a dune and slide them into the lake to be picked up by boat and shipped off.

Here we are at the top of the Log Slide. The trail down to the shoreline is only 500 feet long - all soft sand. In those 500 feet it drops in elevation by 300 feet. That's steep. The sign at the top warns that it takes minutes to descend, hours to return to the top.

I volunteered to officially record the occasion as Rich, Ellen, Caleb and Logan made the adventurous hike down. Look closely - they're in the above picture about halfway down.

They were right - it didn't take long for them to make it to the lake. But I didn't see the whites of their eyes for quite awhile after that, huffing and puffing with rosy red faces. Rich half carried and pushed Logan from behind the entire way up.
MUNISING, MI - west entrance to Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore
We left the east end of Pictured Rocks and traveled about 1 1/2 hours west back to civilization and the town of Munising, MI. From there we took a '3 hour tour' (sing with me!) on a boat to see the gorgeous rock formations of Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore from the water.
We layered up with every jacket and sweatshirt we had and took in some amazing scenery. It was a picture perfect day - calm seas and clear skies. But it was chilly!
Miner's Castle as seen from land just prior to boarding the boat. And then the view from the lake.




More amazing rock formations - all a result of Noah's flood and the ensuing ice age. The colors on the rocks are due to various mineral deposits. Look at the color of the water. It's crystal clear - various shades of blue and turquoise.

Notice the tree growing atop the rock. Look closely where the roots have jumped the rock to the left to find soil to nourish itself.
More amazing rock formations - all a result of Noah's flood and the ensuing ice age. The colors on the rocks are due to various mineral deposits. Look at the color of the water. It's crystal clear - various shades of blue and turquoise.
Notice the tree growing atop the rock. Look closely where the roots have jumped the rock to the left to find soil to nourish itself.
More beauty. God is so creative. And this is just a sin-ravaged earth. Imagine what the New Earth will look like. I can't wait.
HISTORIC MILL CREEK DISCOVERY PARK, Mackinaw City, MI
Time to head south. It's a good thing the upper peninsula of Michigan is so beautiful because there is no way I would ever spend much time up in that icebox otherwise. In fact, we went through a town - can't remember it's name, but the sign greeting visitors on the highway into town read, "Welcome to Our Town, Icebox of the World." Can't you just see me living there?
After crossing the bridge back down to the lower peninsula of Michigan and taking off a layer or two, we stopped at this authentic 18th century working saw mill. Again, Caleb was fascinated. He just stared, trying to figure out how it all worked and how he could construct his own at home.

But in the end, he pulled it out. Would you believe me if I told you I let him win? I didn't think so.
KEATING HOME, Bloomfield Township, MI
KEATING HOME, Bloomfield Township, MI
Remember the families I referred to from Family Camp? The ones crazy for Jesus and Godly parenting? Well, we had the privilege of staying with one of these families in their home just outside of Detroit. Don and Julie Keating pulled out the royal welcome mat for us and treated us like kings and queens. They even let us shower in their big, spacious showers that I didn't need to wear flip-flops in! (We've been camping for awhile remember.)

Rebekah (ours), H. (theirs), K. (theirs), Logan (ours)
Logan and K. (both 5 years old) got up from lunch and announced to the crowd that we needn't worry who they were going to marry. They had officially decided that they would marry each other. Very good choice, Logan. A little young, but good choice. Later in a quiet moment between Logan and I, I mentioned to him that she probably wouldn't want to move far away from her Mama and would probably want to live in Michigan. Was he okay with this? Logan thought for a moment and replied, "That's okay. We'll live in Pennsylvania. That's halfway in between." That's Logan. Always has a plan.

E. (theirs) and Ellen (ours).
E. (theirs) and Ellen (ours).
Their backyard is a kid's dream. Hanging from an enormous oak tree are various tree swings and a zip line!
Yes, they have as many kids as we have! 10 kids - 2 families.
They had an absolute blast together. They all dressed up and lip-synched "Oh, Where is my Hairbrush" (of VeggieTales fame) in their basement. We laughed and laughed...
Thank you Don and Julie! We had a great time with you!
THE DRIVE HOME to Home Sweet Home
This has turned out to be a whole lot longer than I had anticipated. I'm quite certain that my mom is the only person who has actually made it this far. Thank you, Mom. You always love everything I do.
The kids slept much of the Wilbur drive home. And now it's time for you to go to bed, too. It's late. Good night. And thanks for stopping by...
2 comments:
Well, I made it to the end! I loved reading it. We make an annual trip to Michigan and love it up there. Thanks so much for sharing your adventure!! I love your family even though I rarely see you face to face. Totally agree on RV idea vs. tent camping. Wilbur is surely a blessing! Thanks again for writing.
Yep!! You're right....I looked at the entire trip in one sitting, and I'll probably do it again tomorrow! Your adventure looked fantastic and beautiful!!
Love, Mom
Post a Comment