I love when a picture can give you a glimpse of a special relationship. Our kids truly enjoy each other and consider each other their best friends. What a blessing! Yes, they have their differences -what relationship doesn't? But, parents, don't let those differences become the focus of your children's relationship with each other. They will be friends for life! We tell them that. I remember last year when Ellen came home from swim practice and was looking troubled. She shared with me that one of the girls in her age group had pointed to her younger brother and was talking bad about him and telling Ellen what a pest he was. Ellen couldn't believe this girl didn't consider her brother her friend. I was proud of Ellen for pointing our her younger brother to this girl and saying, "That's my little brother, Caleb. He's my best friend. We have so much fun together." I think it really bothered Ellen for awhile that this girl didn't treasure her relationship with her brother.
So how can you encourage your children to be best friends? Give them plenty of opportunities to play with each other and develop that friendship. Too many playdates with outside friends will give them a desire for those other friends over their friends in their own home. Give them projects to do together to build their relationship. Pray for their relationship to strengthen! (That should be first!) Tell them that they are each other's best friends and what a blessing they are to each other. Okay, those are just a few off the top of my head. I know there are many wise people who read this whose kids are great friends (I've learned from you all!) So please share your hints, as well!



3 comments:
Love, love, love what you said and the pic of Ellen and Caleb. How precious they are!!
loved this..thanks!
Great job Julie!!! So true!!! You have such beautiful kiddos!!!
Post a Comment