Tuesday, September 29, 2009

I'm back

Hopefully with the announcement at the end of the last post you'll understand why I haven't been blogging much lately. I figured with the nap I needed every day and going to bed an hour early that I was losing about 3 hours of productivity a day! Needless to say, blogging was an extra that had to go while I was feeling low on energy and strength this summer. Something about the other 6 mouths in our family wanting clean clothes and food to eat. I guess I can understand. Although, I shouldn't complain, the rest of the family sure stepped up to cover for me when I wasn't 100%. Thank you Rich, Ellen and Caleb. You guys are the best!

We still managed to have a very fun summer making many precious family memories...

Rebekah turned 4... (yes, she still loves pink and had a pink castle cake thanks to big sister, Ellen's creative talents. If she doesn't have a bit of pink or purple on every day she doesn't think she looks very pretty. For example, today she is wearing white shorts with a green top. That in itself would not cut the mustard with her. But my little fashion guru quickly accessorized with a purple belt. Now, she feels pretty. She's only 4. We realize we have a lot of work to do. But you'll have to admit, it is quite cute for now...)

We stopped to tour a coal mine and village in West Virginia and white water rafted on the way up to the GFI National Conference in Cleveland, OH. Yes, it was a Wilbur adventure. Short, but very fun.

Caleb qualified for the City Swim Meet. His mixed medley relay team won! They are the fastest 8 year old mixed medley relay team in all of Charleston!

Ellen, Caleb and I flew to Arkansas to spend 5 days with my sister and her adorable new twins, Piper and Mattias. We had a great time! Ellen was excited for her newest sibling before we went, but by the time we came home she was crazy sick with baby fever! She can't wait to be a big sister again.

Logan finally gathered up enough courage to jump off the fixed pier in our back yard into the creek. It has been tormenting him all summer. He wanted to jump so badly, but fear would grip him and in tears he would turn around and say maybe next time. I hate to say what finally urged him to jump, but it was the fact that one afternoon Rebekah woke up from her nap and announced that she was ready to jump off the fixed pier. She promptly clicked on her life jacket, marched out into the back yard, climbed up on the railing and jumped. No hesitation, no looking back, she just jumped. I think Logan looked on in shock for about 10 seconds and quickly realized that if his little sister could so resolutely jump with no fear, then he should be able to, as well. Which is just what he did. And he hasn't stopped jumping since - all with a huge grin on his face. Doesn't it feel good to conquer an irrational fear?

We enjoyed a visit from our hilarious and fun friends, the E family from near Toledo, Ohio. My cheeks still hurt from laughing so much. I think I had a birthday in there somewhere, too...

We traveled to the GFI Key Couples Family Camp in Indiana again where we thoroughly enjoyed the like-minded fellowship with folks who have become dear and precious friends of ours. The Ezzo's were, of course, there and we just adore and treasure the special relationship we have with them, as well. Since both of Rich's folks have passed away, they have officially adopted him. They said he's too young to be an orphan.

We took the kids up to Lake Geneva, Wisconsin which is a place full of wonderful memories for Rich and I. We both learned to water ski in it's chilly waters, we had our first date (a blind date set up by our mothers! We tell people we were an arranged marriage, sort of...), and we had our wedding reception there.

We reconnected with cousins and a dear and precious childhood friend that I've been friends with for over 3 decades. I treasure our time-tested friendship, Nicole!

We visited the Shedd Aquarium in downtown Chicago. (yes, Rich once again expertly navigated Wilbur through downtown Chicago. Nothing phases him in that behemoth of a vehicle. He's amazing!) Look at this penguin display. The animals look so familiar...

We stayed with the S family in Lombard, IL and loved getting to know them. Rich and I were invited to speak at their GEMS gathering in Naperville where we taught on "Teaching Your Children to be Moneywise."

From there we traveled to Hannibal, MO and saw the Adventures of Tom Sawyer come alive. That was our summer read aloud so it was fun to tour Tom and Becky's cave, take a ride on a riverboat and pretend to whitewash Tom's fence.

On to St. Louis to ascend the arch (I think this was the highlight of the trip for the kids.)

A visit in Arkansas to see my sis and her twins again. Can't believe how much they grew in 6 weeks! The cousins all had so much fun together. Anna and Rebekah just adored the babies - very encouraging given that they'll be big sisters (again for Rebekah) very soon.

On to Atlanta to see our sweet friends, the L family. We've been friends with them for over 16 years!

And finally, we made it home just in time for Caleb to turn 9.
(Caleb on his daddy's lap at 15 months)

Caleb at 9 years of age. Where does the time go???

That was our summer in a nutshell... Whew!

2 comments:

Jo Whitton said...

Wow, you guys have been busy!!! Hope you're well, and keeping up with them all, Julie! Love Jo.

Stephanie said...

Love all of this! What a great fall you have had so far! You guys live every moment to the fullest! Everyone always looks so happy in the pictures!!!They are so beautiful! I loved your posts, too!! You're an excellent blogographer...just made that up!! Love you guys!!