Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Hyde Park on our Mega Field Trip

Okay, I'm feeling a bit guilty for throwing in the trick history question last post. Who ever liked the teacher who had a trick question on the test??? Not nice. Sorry!

So here's the answer: There wasn't actually a battle at Valley Forge. It was the winter encampment of George Washington and his troops during the Revolutionary War and was actually the turning point in the war. You can read more here.

Northward now to New York. No, not the city (not ready to drive Wilbur in downtown NYC, although, I have no doubt that Rich could do it.) First stop was Hyde Park - home of FDR. We thought it was a good continuation of our studies of him that began last April when we visited his home in Warm Springs, GA. (Thus the reason we often call our vacations "Mega Field Trips")
Crossed the Hudson River on the FDR Bridge (everything around Hyde Park is named FDR________)

Love my new camera! Isn't this cool? Logan was not thrilled that it took me a bit too long to snap this picture. The bug was starting to creep him out. Anyone know what it is?
FDR's home - unique in that he was born in this home, lived there during his adult years and is buried on the grounds.
Having more fun with my new toy in the gardens.
Can you see the bee on the flower?
Actual pieces of the Berlin Wall. Can't remember why they were on FDR's property, but a good piece of history, nonetheless.
Inside FDR's presidential library. This was the way his desk in the oval office looked when he passed away. The presidential library was quite interesting. While we admired FDR's great leadership characteristics, we were further convinced that we don't exactly agree with his politics. Rich being a political junkie was fascinated by all there was to learn there and the kids got a great history and political science lesson that day.
How did I survive raising 5 other children without a Bumbo?
Master camping chef cooking dinner in the Catskill Mountains
S'mores!!! After we visit some historical site or museum on our "Mega Field Trips" we have 'test time' each evening over dinner. (No trick questions, I promise) The kids answer our questions based on what they saw and learned that day and as they get questions right they 'build' their s'more. 1st right answer is the bottom graham cracker, next one is a square of chocolate, etc. until they have a whole s'more built and then they can roast the marshmallows. They even quiz Rich and I and if they can really stump us, sometimes they get an extra s'more! Have I mentioned recently how much I love homeschooling?

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Wonderful post Julie!!!!

Mrs. E said...

2nd Stephanie's comment :-) Great photo's too ... some sort of beetle? Doen't quite look like a ladybug ...

tara said...

Trying so hard not to have inappropriate feelings about your new camera!! :) I'm headed straight for my prayer closet. :)

love you much - keep those updates comin'!
t