I think most women will agree that it warms their heart through and through to see their husbands sharing special moments with their children. I could go on and on about the reasons behind this, but for lack of time, just nod and agree with me, especially you moms.
Rich and Anna have this thing going that I love where they go running together early in the morning. Well, Rich missed his early morning run on Sunday, so in the car on the way home from church Rich said to Anna, "Hey Anna. After your nap, let's go running." To which Anna enthusiastically replied, "Yay!!!!" Which was quickly followed by her jabbering rather rapidly, "DOGGIES, DUCKS, EGGS!" Rich smiled at her in the rearview mirror and winked. Anna had a huge grin and contented look on her face.
Something just happened between the two of them that the other 6 members in the car were oblivious to. I later asked Rich what Doggies, Ducks, Eggs meant. You see they have this routine. They run and look for dogs - people walking their dogs in the morning or dogs out in their yards. And they count them. It's a good day when there have been multiple dog sightings. Then about halfway through the run there is a pond where they see ducks. Not sure if they count them, but at least there is a predictable sighting. And predictability in the life of a two year old is very comforting. Then they come home and Daddy fixes Anna her favorite breakfast - scrambled eggs. Another special moment shared.
When Doggies, Ducks and Eggs have been crossed off of Anna's to-do list, then life is good in her little mind. I love that Rich shares this special time and bond with little Anna. I sometimes feel that she gets forgotten in my busy shuffle of homeschooling her 4 older siblings while trying to remember to feed her younger brother every 3 hours. Doggies, Ducks and Eggs fills a big need in her little world.
You're a hero once again, my sweet husband. To me and our precious half dozen children.

3 comments:
It was nice to chat with you tonight at church! I love your story, sometimes I feel that it is my 4.5 year old that gets lost in the shuffle:( Hope to see you again. Brittan ( mom to West who loved seeing the babies tonight!)
Anna is so cute!
Ellen
I agree with Ellen: Anna is so cute!!!
From Megan! (You probably would know where I live now, I've written so many times about living in Oz!) (oh dear, there I go again!)
Post a Comment