Thursday, October 14, 2010

Niagara Falls

Wow! Awesome, amazing, powerful, mighty. Our Creator God sure made a marvel when He carved out Niagara Falls. We were several miles away and could see the mist rising in the air as we drove closer and closer. The kids thought something was on fire! I still don't have a handle on 'less is more' so hang on - there's a ton of pictures. Still trying out all of the settings on my camera. I took several hundred pictures, so I feel pretty good that I'm 'only' posting 17.

I couldn't believe how close we could get to the falls here.
Rainbows galore... Can't help seeing one and being reminded of God's love for us and His mercy.
We spent our first day at the falls on the American side. (Why are my words being underlined?? I can't turn it off. Driving me crazy.) Anyhow... this photo is from the American side looking at American Falls on the ride side of the photo. Horseshoe Falls are behind me. Remember that bridge - we'll eventually cross it into Canada.
We donned the fashionable yellow raincoats (more like trashbags with an opening for our heads) and waterproof sandals and descended the elevator to the Cave of the Winds. Confused us at first, too, as there is no longer a cave there, but there used to be. It was destroyed in the 50's, but the name stuck.
It was HOT and the cool water splashing on us was wonderfully refreshing.
Standing under Bridal Veil Falls - WOW!!!
Rich stayed below to take the above picture of all of us. As we headed up to the deck in the picture below, Anna started to scream. I was holding her hand with Micah in my arms. I quickly took a turn to avoid the full force of the water pounding down upon us as I thought this was scaring Anna and causing her to scream. Rich quickly caught up with us to take Anna from me. He discerned that her screams were actually her trying to tell me she WANTED to be under the pounding water. Didn't like that she chose to scream to express her desires, although, the roar was deafening and to her credit, she was probably asking me nicely, I just couldn't hear her! The deck is called Hurricane Deck and we could see why. We felt we were in a hurricane. Have I said, "Incredible" yet?
Just another gorgeous picture I couldn't resist posting.
We spent the rest of the day roaming Goat Island and continuing to marvel...
We had so much fun that we decided to head back the next day, but this time to view the Falls from Canada. We walked the bridge, passports in hand to another country. The boys loved taking this photo - Logan and Rebekah are in America, Caleb is in Canada. They were all sorely disappointed that the border patrol agent didn't stamp their passport.
Of course, except for a different flag flying, a few signs in metric and french, it didn't feel any different than where we'd just come from. It was still exciting for them, nonetheless.
We donned fashionable blue raincoats this time and boarded the Maid of the Mist to once again get cooled off under the Falls. Horseshoe Falls this time.
Almost done - (underlining again??) The views from the Canadian side were amazing.

4 comments:

The Foote Family said...

Well I have to say " I loved every single photo - can never get enough. God is so awesome to have made that.

Look forward to your next lot of photos.

Love,
Michelle.

Jo Whitton said...

Wow, I'd really love to see Niagara Falls! Beautiful!

Mrs. E said...

the photo's are incredible, having seen the Falls in person, you certainly captured everything! Of course, the day my dh took me was late March and snowing, there was no walking under the Falls that day! :-) Still pretty and awe-inspiring though.

The Noy Maker said...

I love EVERY picture! Amazing! Curious though, what type of carrier is Rich wearing? We could using something like that for our travels.