"Pray without ceasing." 1 Thessalonians 5:17
What does that look like? I know it can look a lot of different ways and I'd love to hear from all of you how it looks in your life and with your children. I need new ideas!
But here's one idea that came to us from Don and Karen Kurtz, a family we have known for many years and who we consider to be one of our many wise mentors. They have taught us so much as we strive to raise our children in a way that brings joy to God. Their children are beautiful, inside and out!
Don and Karen shared with us how sometimes it can get a little crazy trying to get out the door to church on Sunday morning. We can sure relate! Trying to get 6 children dressed, fed, to the bathroom and with shoes on (preferably matching) can get a bit frantic. Once everyone is in the car (whew!) it seems hard to bring instant peace and calm. We would occasionally hear a "Move over, you're squishing me. Ow! Moooooooom!"
Don and Karen shared a way to bring peace and calm and to prepare our hearts for worship all at the same time! Their secret?
Pray the entire car ride to church.
We take turns praying out loud, starting with the youngest and finishing with Daddy. We confess sin, seek forgiveness, pray for the pastor speaking that day, pray for our church, pray for those in bed contemplating whether or not they will get up and go to church, we pray for sick friends, we pray for our family... What a blessing to hear praise and prayers from our children and to hear what is on their hearts. And what a blessing for our children to hear their parent's hearts. Of course, prayer goes on a lot more in our house than just in the car on Sunday morning, but it is just one more purposeful time to 'pray without ceasing.'
Simple yet beautiful. We have adopted this practice and love the calm and peace it brings to each of our hearts as we prepare to worship our Savior. Thanks Don and Karen!
Don and Karen Kurtz with their 4 children
1 comment:
HI JULIE....
I'VE ALWAYS ENJOYED RECEIVING YOUR MOM'S PICTURES OF YOUR BEAUTIFUL FAMILY. I WOULD OCCASIONALLY GO ON YOUR BLOG TO CATCH UP...
I'VE PUT YOU ON MY SIDE BAR SO THAT YOUR NEWEST POST WILL POP UP AND I CAN BE CONTINUALLY UPDATED ON YOUR CUTE, CUTE FAMILY.
YOU WERE A BEAUTIFUL, SWEET-NATURED CHILD/TEEN WHEN I MET YOU. MY HEART IS JUST FILLED WITH JOY TO SEE WHAT A WONDERFUL WOMAN/MOTHER YOU HAVE BECOME!
XXO-JEANNIE LaBELLE
PS...SAY HI TO JEANNINE AND YOUR PARENTS FOR ME--WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOU GUYS IF YOU'RE EVER BACK IN THIS AREA!
Post a Comment